Daydreams and the Resting Brain

Our brains are working frantically all the time even when you’re not aware of it.  The conscious mind controls our brains for only 5% of the time.  The other 95% is powered by our subconscious.

We know that the resting brain is never silent.  It’s ticking away through a variety of material gathered from your physical, emotional and mental pickings.  In fact, blood flow through the brain is only marginally less than when the brain is focused on a task based activity.  That’s a lot of action for a brain which is supposed to be idle.

Various theories have been proposed and their common link is that the resting state is the stage at which the brain builds its connections, creating memories, visioning the future and making sense of what has happened throughout the day or week.

Daydreams allow us to explore in safety.  We relive past events and change the endings.  We plan for the future and test out various choices.  We imagine wonderful worlds and experience the feelings associated with them.   A report in Psychology Today says that people who daydream about people and things close to them are more likely to have a higher level of life satisfaction and personal fulfillment.

Scientists have now created a virtual model of the brain that daydreams like humans do.  “They hope the model will help them understand why certain portions of the brain work together when a person daydreams or is mentally idle. This, in turn, may one-day help doctors better diagnose and treat brain injuries.”

So what does this all mean for you as leader and change manager?

It means that a little daydreaming now and then won’t hurt your team and might actually help it.   Daydreaming about current experiences can help your team members anchor them within their memories and aid their learning.  Daydreamers are actually contributing to their own sense of wellbeing and fulfillment at work.

As leader, you can build in opportunities for “structured daydreams” by encouraging your team to “picture the change” and experience it within the safety of their own minds.

Next time you see one of your team members staring blankly out the window, ask them what’s on their mind.  You might be surprised.

Phone 1300 719 665 or +61 424 447 616



leadership course
leadership course free trial online
leadership course harvard business school
leadership courses for managers
basic leadership course
leadership crash course
online leadership course
leadership courses melbourne
leadership courses sydney
management and leadership course online free trial
leadership skills online course free trial
strategic leadership free online course trial
leadership development programs harvard business school
organizational leadership course
strategic leadership course
leadership training courses for managers
leadership courses for new managers
leadership courses for project managers
leadership courses for middle managers
leadership courses for senior managers
best leadership courses for managers
leadership development program for managers
leadership training program for managers
leadership program for new managers
leadership reaction course events
leadership reaction course manual
leadership reaction course army
leadership reaction course ideas
leadership reaction course answers
leadership reaction course solutions
leadership reaction course ocs
leadership reaction course usmc
basic leadership course requirements
basic leadership course reflective essay
online leadership courses
online leadership courses queensland
online leadership courses free trial
online leadership courses with certificate
online leadership courses for high school students
online leadership courses australia
leadership and management courses online free
leadership training videos online free
free leadership courses online australia
harvard online leadership courses free
free nursing leadership courses online
free online leadership courses for high school students
leadership courses melbourne online
leadership courses melbourne
leadership training melbourne
leadership programs melbourne
womens leadership courses melbourne
womens leadership courses sydney
womens leadership courses brisbane
womens leadership courses adelaide
executive leadership courses melbourne
executive leadership courses sydney
executive leadership courses brisbane
executive leadership courses adelaide
leadership development courses sydney
leadership courses workshops sydney
leadership course sydney
leadership coaching course sydney
leadership course north sydney
leadership and management courses sydney
leadership and management short courses
women in leadership
programs for women
keynote speaker
motivational speaker
emerging leaders
courageous leadership
sonia mcdonald
courses for women
executive coach
leadership coach