Leadership is Scary. No, this isn’t a Stephen King type article on Leadership…no scary music or creeping up on you when you least expect it – now there is a movie idea!
Scary? Thing is , it doesn’t have to be…
“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.” ― John Wayne
I see, work, hear and feel leadership everyday. I don’t even think we know we are leaders or leading. But we are.
I think we have made leadership bigger than what is it. We see the likes of Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jnr, Steve Jobs, Richard Branson, Brene Brown or Elizabeth Broderick (I could name plenty more) who are all iconic leaders to me and what I think leadership is about.
I am not achieving great things or lead amazing causes, so I am not a leader. I don’t have a CEO or Manager in my title therefore I am not a leader. Sure achieving great things, standing up for powerful causes, and being a CEO is scary stuff. Mind you I have met plenty of CEOs are not leaders – keep that one in mind!
Leadership isn’t about title. Leadership is about action. It is about behaviour, attitude and mindset. Leadership is about making a difference to others! Some of the best leaders in my life have empowered me in small ways.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader. – John Quincy Adams
I have worked with and coached thousands of leaders who did not see themselves as leaders, but they are. It is the little things; I called them Lollipop moments (please watch the TED Talk Lollipop Leadership – in 5 minutes you will change your frame on how you see yourself).
You might think Leadership is scary, but its not. This is what leadership means to me –
- Leaders can be Made! Bring it on!
- Knowing your Leadership Story and owning those moments in your life where you have demonstrated leadership and also who has made a difference to who you are today?
- Being Authentically YOU! Huge fan of Authentic Leadership. They are grounded and humble. They are the same person at home; work, in the community – everywhere.
- Self Awareness is the KEY – knowing who you are. Strengths, motivators, talents, passions, triggers and weaknesses. What are they? Think about tools you can use to find this out – we have plenty!
- Leadership is about Others. Empowering, inspiring and coaching others to lead.
- Great Leaders surround themselves with their Tribe. Those people who are advisors, mentors, and supporters. They know you inside out; they are willing to give you honest feedback. Yes honest!
- Leaders are Self Taught. Always keep your mind open to learning, growing and changing.
- Leadership is about Courage and Failure. Have the courage to be seen, make a difference and be vulnerable. It is okay to fail. Don’t let the fear of failure stop you from stepping up. Own up when you stuff up. Learn from your failures and mistakes – and get back up.
- Leadership is about Integrity. Leading by example. Not saying one thing and doing another.
- Leadership is about trusting yourself and building Trust with those around you.
- Finally, always focus on your WHY. Why do you do what you do, your purpose, your passions.
Scared? Feel the fear. Jump. Do it. Leadership is about Courage. Yes at times being a leader or leading is scary. Life is scary. Don’t you want to look back on your life and say to yourself, I lived it with courage and I was the best leader I could be?
It doesn’t have to be scary. When I look back on my story and experiences, I am who I am today as a leader because of them not despite them.
I want you all to reflect on yours, your leadership experiences and stories. Own them. Share them. And keep building on them.
Don’t make Leadership bigger than it is. You are a leader. You have got this.
Be brave, be courageous – and lead.
Leadership is magnificent. And so are YOU.
Get in touch, tell us your stories, and let LeadershipHQ support you to be the best leader you can be.
Phone 1300 719 665 or +61 424 447 616